Attorneys for Animals (AfA) is an organization of Michigan lawyers, law school graduates, law students, certified legal assistants and others who believe the legal system is an important tool in protecting animals and bettering their lives. Founded in 1990, AfA is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) corporation funded through membership dues, grants and donations. In 1995, AfA members were instrumental in establishing the Animal Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. We developed the Animal Law Handbook, the only single-source research tool available of all Michigan statutes related to animals and have published annual updates.
We serve as an informal clearinghouse for attorneys interested in taking animal law cases and maintain an informal referral list of attorneys who specialize in animal-related legal issues. We assist state and particularly local government units in drafting and revising animal laws, rules and ordinances, and we help guide lawmakers through the often confusing and contentious areas of animal-related legislation. We provide funding of causes and organizations which will improve animal life and welfare in Michigan.
Provided financial assistance in litigation of:
- Seeking non-economic damages for the death of a companion animal
- Assisting a dog on “death-row”
Provided funding for:
- Dogs Deserve Better (DDB), one of three billboards in southwest Michigan during May 2008 (please see www.dogsdeservebetter.org)
- CAHS cruelty investigators to attend out-of-state training seminars
- A public service announcement warning of the dangers of children abusing animals
- A compilation of local animal ordinances in order to develop a model ordinance
Recognized Animal Heroes, including:
- A Deputy Sheriff who dove into icy water to rescue a dog
- Wildlife rehabilitators who faced hostile neighbors